Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo

Dry shampoo is a little intimidating overall.  I am a daily showerer, for the most part.  I can't really stand to not shower.  With my hair so long, I feel greasy almost immediately, even if others claim that I/my hair looks fine.  However, it is not always possible to shower when I would like.  That's why I love this little number I discovered a few years ago. 

If you've never used dry shampoo before, it may be time to try it.  Basically, it does what it sounds like it does.  While it doesn't really "clean" your hair as regular shampoo would, it absorbs oil and creates volume, and makes hair look almost as if it is freshly washed.  Your hair won't feel exactly as if you had washed it, but it will feel probably 75% better than it would have if you just didn't shower and didn't use anything.  And it looks probably 90% better than it would have.  Well it will as long as you use a good product.

Not all dry shampoos are created equal.  Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo is the best I've tried, and I've probably tried at least four, maybe five brands.  Most other ones leave you smelling very strongly and unpleasantly of whatever they've decided to scent it with.  They can also leave a gummy or gritty residue, instead of absorbing properly.  If the product isn't great, or if it's applied incorrectly, it can be a disaster. 

Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo is definitely a life saver.  I highly recommend adding it to your "in a pinch" collection of products.  It doesn't have an overly strong smell like some of the other ones I've used, and it's got an excellent texture.  It can be great if you use it right.

I have two application techniques.  The first is for an all over fix.  I take the bottle and squeeze out a few generous puffs onto my hairbrush, then brush it through my hair.  I do this several times, concentrating on any greasy looking areas.  It was a lifesaver last weekend when I was going from a massage to a birthday party and didn't have time to shower.  If you apply it directly to your hair you might end up concentrating too much in one area, and getting white streaks or spots, so that's why I apply it via brush. 

The other technique I use is for spot treatments.  Sometimes I over-product my hair, or touch a strand too much with greasy fingers, or my skin is super oily that day.  If that happens, squirt a little powder on your fingers and spot-apply by grabbing the hunk of strands and smoothing down towards the tips.  Then brush to finish incorporating the product into your hair.  If it looks a bit powdery after either technique, simply smooth a little water over the area with your hands or brush.   Water has absorbed the powder after the powder has already absorbed any oil, so you still look great.  Brilliant! 

Scent: 3.75 (Lemony and not too strong, but I suppose could be better)
Health: 4 (The ingredients seem reasonable.)
Ethics: 4 (I snooped Oscar Blandi's site a bit and found out nothing.  Product says no animal testing though.)
Price/Value: 3.75 (A bit less than $20 and it's a small bottle, but it's a great product and lasts a while.)
Does what it says: 4.75 (Excellent job for what it is, but it'll never be real shampoo.)

Overall: 4 (A great quick fix for day old hair!)

No comments:

Post a Comment